Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Off for a few days

As the time has flown by, I have not been able to post my pictures from Huang Shan. I will get those up as soon as is feasibly possible. We actually have all of next week off, so I will be heading out tomorrow after my Chinese midterm with a few friends, hitting the railways, and kicking off the grand tour of China! It's actually pretty exciting.

The plan is to take an overnight train up to Xi'an, which you can check out with this link:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=30.143791&lon=118.17976&z=13&l=0&m=a&v=2

In Xi'an we will be seeing the Terracotta warriors, an ancient city wall that surrounds a large portion of the city, seeing the Muslim district and eating some reputedly delicious food. Then Saturday night I will take another overnight train (about 11 hours) up to Beijing.

Here's a link to find Beijing:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=30.143791&lon=118.17976&z=13&l=0&m=a&v=2

Since Beijing is the capital and there is so much to see there, including the Great Wall, the Olympic park, a certain square that starts with 'T', the Emperor's Palace, etc., we will spend five days there. Once Friday rolls around, we will take another overnight train (about 9 hours long) to Nanjing.

Here's a link for Nanjing:

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=30.143791&lon=118.17976&z=13&l=0&m=a&v=2

I don't know a whole lot about Nanjing, except that it has a big museum about Japan's "rape of Nanjing" (a political hot-topic), a big mountain that you can take a gondola up, and a bunch of Chinese people. I figure that by this point we will be so traveled-out anyway that we will just want to take it slow and mellow and just enjoy the city. It should be good.

Nanjing is really close to Shanghai, so we will take a train back on Sunday afternoon at the latest, then prepare for classes to begin the following day. When this trip is over, I think it will be safe to say that I have seen more of China than I have of the United States. I can't decide if that is really cool (having seen so much of China) or really lame (having seen almost none of the US).

And as usual, I will be sure to take an obscene amount of pictures. At this point I have close to 20 gigs worth, which is exceeding what I even expected in the first place, and my expectations were high!

1 comment:

Shelby said...

It's interesting to hear what Xi'an looks like from the outside. Did you stay in the hostel near the south gate, just near the bar street? I've heard it's a pretty nice place, though I don't imagine I'll ever stay there.

I'm surprised that you had such bad luck with the taxi drivers! In the two months that I've been here, I've never had that problem. Granted, I usually don't take a taxi if I can take a bus, meaning that I mostly take taxis to return home if it's late and the buses have stopped running, but I've found the taxi drivers to be generally nice and helpful, and they usually even let us get away with cramming 4 people in the backseat.

Also, where did you possible spend an hour unable to find a place to eat?!? My main problem is that my stomach is not nearly big enough to accommodate all the food I want to try here.